Thursday, March 21, 2013

Spring?

Hello Spring!  Wait - snow?  We woke up to a good covering of snow this morning - not a very inviting welcome into Spring.  Fortunately the sun came out and melted away most of it by afternoon.  Our plants don't seem to know the difference.
The almond and plum trees and just flowering away:

The sunshine did lure me outside to do some yard work.  There was this row of daffodils along the fence in the very back of the yard.  It seemed pretty random to me, about 10' of daffodils way out in the back, and they've been annoying me for 2 years now!  Today, ZB and I dug them all up.  I'm going to replant them in the front, along the road.  That seems logical and all until I had this bucket full of blooms and was ready to go and realized - what the heck am I thinking??  I can't do planting with a toddler on the side of the road!  This project will have to be postponed until B can help out.


This pink-nosed child didn't seem to mind the cold at all.  She even got thrills from dipping her hands in half-frozen buckets of water and squealing, "COLD HANDS! COLD HANDS!"
 Finally, check out this sweet idea for plant markers... I cut pieces of bamboo about 18" long, and split the top few inches with a machete.  Then I put thin pieces of wood in and secured with jute.  Old paint stirrers worked great for the wood, since it's so thin, I could cut it to size with my kitchen scissors.  With the new Spring seeds and last Fall's garlic, our garden area is already 1/4 full!
Stay warm, everyone!

1 comment:

Allison said...

Happy Spring and Happy Easter! We are driving to SC to see Paul's family for spring break. Love to all!

Blog Archive